Girringun Aboriginal Corporation is a legally incorporated organisation under The Corporations (Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander) Act 2006 (CATSI Act). Girringun Aboriginal Corporation represents the interests of traditional owners from nine tribal groups: Bandjin, Djiru, Girramay, Gugu Badhun, Gulnay, Jirrbal, Nywaigi, Warrgamay and Warrungnu.
Broadly, the traditional country of these groups encompasses land around North Maria Creek to El Arish and south west to the Tully River, north to Ravenshoe and Herberton, south to include country to the east of Einsleigh, south west of Greenvale and each to Rollingstone on the coast. The offshore islands and waters surrounding Hinchinbrook, Goold, Brooke, Family and the Dunk Islands are also included in this area.
Girringun’s vision and core business activities include:
- working with Girringun members, traditional owners, other Aboriginal groups, government agencies and the community toward the promotion and preservation of Aboriginal culture guaranteeing its continued survival.
- providing traditional owners support in asserting their rights as custodians, owners and protectors of the environment through native title claims, land purchases and environmental best practice initiatives.
- developing a range of social programs and initiatives for the general health and wellbeing of Indigenous communities in the region;.
- assisting the economic development and management of traditional owner lands through continued employment and training programs.
- establishing and maintaining long term good relationships with agencies and communities throughout the region.
Girringun’s current membership consists of over 650 adult traditional owners from the nine tribal groups. The Governing Committee Board is made up of 18 elected representatives consisting of two members from each group. This ensures the active participation of traditional owners in all facets of Girringun’s operations.