Biodiversity & Nursery
The Girringun Biodiversity & Nursery Program is funded through the Australian Government's 'Caring for Country' Program and Department of Environment and Energy. It involves restoration of habitats and corridors of endangered species such as Tree Kangaroo, Mahogany Gliders and Cassowary; control of pest weeds, revegetation of areas damaged by natural disasters such as cyclones and the collection and propagation of local endemic plants, trees and grasses for use in revegetation work.
Over time, the vast majority of plants required for the revegetation work will be supplied by the Girringun Native Plant Nursery. All sales benefit the protection and restoration of the Indigenous Protected Areas. Girringun Native Plant Nursery supplies to revegetation projects, landscapers, nurseries and the general public.
Biodiversity conduct much of the on-ground operation to achieve meaningful management outcomes for Girringun, with a strong emphasis on culture and caring for country both land and sea. Biodiversity Staff are well resourced, highly skilled and trained to conduct all types of field work and work within the boundary of the Girringun Indigenous Protected Area. The Biodiversity and Nursery team is well supported within the corporation by Girringun Aboriginal Art Centre, Girringun Aboriginal Rangers, IPA and TUMRA.
We specialize in bush tucker and native endemic species. Please contact us for a current stock list or quote for your project at wholesale prices.
Our Biodiversity & Nursery Team
5 personnel comprising of:
- 2 Indigenous males (1 x Nursery Supervisor and 1 x Re-vegetation Supervisor)
- 2 Indigenous females (Biodiversity Re-vegetation and Nursery)
- 1 Indigenous Horticultural Trainee
Some of the projects Biodiversity Staff are actively involved with include:
- Exotic Weed Management & Re-vegetation
- Maintenance of Traditional Sites
- Supporting the Girringun Junior Rangers
- Working with partners and stake holders
- Training and Capacity building
We work in conjunction with:
- Traditional Owners
- National Parks, Sport and Racing (NPSR) - Queensland Parks and Wildlife Service (QPWS - Northern Region)
- World Wildlife Fund (WWF)
- Wildlife Preservation Society of Queensland (WPSQ)
- Local Councils - Hinchinbrook Shire Council, Cassowary Coast Regional Council
- Terrain NRM
- Rainforest Reserves
- NQ Dry Tropics
- Wet Tropics Management Authority (WTMA)
- Conservation Volunteers Australia (CVA)
- Green Army
OPEN TO THE GENERAL PUBLIC - MONDAY TO THURSDAY 9AM TO 4PM
AT 235 VICTORIA STREET CARDWELL QLD 4849 - NEXT TO THE ART CENTRE
CONTACT DETAILSMobile: 0419790247
Click here for a list of plants we grow. Where possible we do stock other species not mentioned on the listing, but please feel free to contact the Biodiversity and Nursery team to discuss your requests.
Biodiversity Newsletter and Update:
- Newsletter article 2016 December
- Newsletter article 2016 September
- Newsletter article 2016 June
- Newsletter article 2016 March